One day I was minding my own business, preparing the onions and tomatoes for the lasagna. The knife I was using was my favorite Santoku from a well-known knife set.
Guess what, it snapped in half – no warning, nothing! I was lucky the blade piece did not drop on my precious feet. It was only a month since I got that set.
Lasagna aside, I knew right then and there, regular food enthusiasts like us cannot afford to buy expensive sets every month.
Growing irritated by the seconds passing by, I stopped everything and began my research to the best budget kitchen knife set right away.
Read on to find out what products caught my attention in the process.
#List Of The Best Kitchen Knife Set – Our Editor’s Pick:
10 Best Budget Kitchen Knife Set Reviews
Here are the kitchen knife sets I gathered after hours of studies and trials. Consider it a gift to the newbies who are lost amidst numerous brands and models.
1. Home Hero 17 Pieces Kitchen Knives Set
Do you want a mound of knives beautifully gathered in a sleek transparent block? Home Hero has got you covered. This is an awesome collection for those who seek everything— literally everything, within a set.
Therefore, you do not just gain some high-quality material knives but also get a sturdy peeler and a pair of shears. There, a complete package for the kitchen!
If you are someone who does not like mismatched tools, I say go for this one. The acrylic stand, the bold handles, various knife types, etc., has got me excited from the minute I saw it.
Besides, the users have remarked on how useful each piece has been. It has both practicality and decorative flair with sharp edges to admire.
Do you want to know the type of knives the set contains? Get ready to prepare a heck of meals for it has the Chef’s knife, bread, carving, utility, paring, cheese, and pizza knife!
Whoa, all these within a quality set plus the peeler and shears – it comes with a compact sharpener as well! Is it worth the price?
I have to admit I am beyond impressed by its razor-sharp stainless steel quality, by the looks of it. So to answer the question – yes, you will not regret buying this.
- This professional knife set comes with 13 different knives and sharpener and peeler
- Polypropylene made rubbery handle for better grip
- Stainless steel super hard blades with nonstick paint coating
- A multipurpose kitchen appliance do all the jobs from peeling to cutting
- Set includes pizza knife, peeler, bread knife, chef knife, and more
- A free quality sharpener that allows to sharpen knife on the go
- Super sturdy and durable
- Razor-sharp blades
- Fancy but practical acrylic stand
- Ergonomic pp handles
- Excellent value for the price
- Blade color tends to get scratched easily
2. Farberware Stamped 15-Piece High-Carbon Stainless Steel Knife Block Set, Steak Knives
This is a Farberware stamped knife set. The brand says it is a great unit for students, grads, or newlyweds.
Sure it is all affordable to gift a student, but if you do not wish to embarrass yourself, do not present it to the newlyweds. If you remember correctly, most of our college life has been a careless living.
We spent most of our time with books, notes, assignments, thesis papers, etc. So if you think I am degrading a student life, I am not, for this set will come in handy for their occasional homemade meal preparation.
As long as these knives get the job done, you are good to go. However, they do not stay sharp long if you are a regular cook. Daily cutting of various ingredients will blunt them despite being ergonomic.
Now think about presenting them to a couple in the family or next door. Personally, I would never present a cheap quality pretty set to the married since they tend to have more cooking going than a grad.
- Each blade is made with high carbon stainless steel to ensure the quality
- The sharpness stays longer than traditional blades
- Satin finish design hands give balance and comfort
- Best gift for anyone setting up new kitchen
- Set has 15 knife block set of 8” Chef Knife, 6” Bread Knife, 6” Slicing Knife, 5” Serrated Utility Knife, 4.5” Santoku Knife, 3” Paring Knife, (6) 4.5” Steak Knives
- Comfortable grip
- Includes all the essential pieces
- Ideal for people who cooks less/beginners
- Perfectly balanced for precision
- Easy to maintain
- Not durable
3. AILUKI 18 Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Block Wooden and Sharpener (White)
Even if you do not want anything decorative for the kitchen counter, that is fine. Elegance is something not everyone has an eye for but feels it within.
I came up with that line ever since I laid my eyes on the AILUKI 18-piece knife block set. Do not hate me for being dramatic — but once you hold these beauties, you will get the idea.
Each knife is forged with full tang and German stainless steel. It means be careful when you handle them – they are sharp! Now, this is a set you can present to the newlyweds.
It does not end there; keep the unit for yourself too. From the wooden block to the number of necessary pieces included, everything drips with classiness. The ivory white knife set offers so many options I had tears of joy.
Remember, it is not the quantity but the quality that made this product a huge hit in the market. You can think of it as killing two birds with a stone.
So, you will gain some premium-grade kitchen knives that are easy to maintain, all the while not spending much on them at all. Here is a perfect choice if you love dicing, mincing, slicing, peeling, trimming foods. Give it a chance!
- Made from German superior high-Carbon stainless steel
- Total 18 pieces of knives
- Rustproof, easy to clean, safe natural wooden storage
- Hand polish and sharpen will give premium quality cutting
- Strong corrosion resistance
- Super sharp
- High-end quality materials
- Full tang; safe and ergonomic grip
- Includes shredder claws
- Potential to rust if not cared for properly
4. Farberware 22-Piece Never Needs Sharpening Knife, Block, and Kitchen Tool Set, Black
Here is another Farberware knife block set for the people who barely have time to cook daily. This time it is a 22-piece unit with a few baking tools.
It takes me back to the days when I would sort to nothing but raw cookie doughs or microwaved mug cakes. In any case, the product you see has stainless steel knives that make maintenance easy for busy cooks.
My favorite feature in this unit is, surprisingly, the grip. The three riveted black handles offer firm hold as you decide to use the knife for the first time. They are non-slip and provide safety during maneuvering.
It is the blade edges that got me worried. As much as I wanted to speak in favor of them, the negative reviews have halted me otherwise. Therefore, the truth is, they are sharp when purchased but dull pretty easily after several months of use.
On the other hand, it comprises many kinds of knives, spatulas, and measuring spoons that it is a must-have to the rookies. Plus, that wooden block is a classic!
- Each blade has micro teeth to make cutting easier
- Blades are made from advanced high-carbon chrome steel for, sturdiness and precision results
- Handles are crafted triple-riveted POM for power and sturdiness and function a textured, non-slip end that offer a sure, secure grip at the same time as cutting
- Recommended hand wash with warm water
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Wide ranges of tools in a set
- Practical for occasional use
- Easy to maintain
- Ergonomic handles with a non-slip finish
- Micro serration eliminates constant edge sharpening
- Not durable enough
5. Ginsu KIS-KB-DS-014-4 Kiso Dishwasher Safe 14 Piece Set Black Block
There is one feature that sets the Ginsu 14-piece unit from the rest. All the knives here contain a unique serration pattern.
As a result, you will never have to sharpen them. Thanks to the simple-looking design with a black wooden block, there was an inner battle. Is it worth the price or not?
It took me a while to gather information regarding this product. There have been quite a lot of mixed reviews. Nevertheless, here is what I have learned so far. Just because the edges are serrated does not mean they remain sharp forever.
Naturally, no blade stays sharp that long, but the Ginsu serration pattern has not made things easier anyhow. While they are dishwasher-safe, I would not recommend doing it as it can cause rust and dull the blades faster.
The three riveted handle has a common style, but it is comfortable and easy to balance when gripping.
In short, whether it is the Chef’s knife or a boning knife, the serration might seem a little annoying after a while. However, they get the job done efficiently.
- Dishwasher washable
- The synthetic handle is comfortable to hold, easy to clean, and a pleasure to cut.
- The soft black handle is perfect for any home!
- Ginsu’s patented tooth pattern means this knife is always sharp!
- Ebony blocks are an easy way to keep your knives clean and tidy!
- Signature serration to prevent constant honing
- Ergonomic grip
- Cuts amazingly
- Full-tang for sturdiness
- Blades rust easily
6. Oster Lindbergh 14 Piece Stainless Steel Cutlery Set, Black
While I have settled for the natural black design, you can choose from a collection of colors in this unit. Oster Lindbergh’s knife set also consists of serrated blades that are almost perfect.
It is something one would purchase when the wallet is almost empty, but he/she is in need of a good knife set. Besides, if you want to go for a theme in the kitchen, who says there are no blade options?
What I loved about this product is the lightweight feel. It is perfectly balanced when held in hand. The impressive grip ensures no accidental slip-offs. Another best part is that they hold on long even when you clean them in a dishwasher.
In a way, you get more than what you pay for when it comes to this 14-piece cutlery set. The wooden block is not all that reliable; however, it does the job of sheathing quite efficiently.
From the length to the serrated edges, it fits perfectly in any hand size. The only drawback is the rust, which forms quicker than predicted.
- Superior best and serrated edges for easy slicing
- High exceptional stainless-steel blades are stain and rust-resistant
- Soft, snug handles to make sure a secure grip
- Includes a stable pine wooden block for clean storage
- Delivers smooth, fine cuts
- Stainless steel blade for durability
- Serrated edges require no sharpening
- Offers color variations
- Rusts fast
7. NutriChef 7 Piece Kitchen Knife Set – NCKNS7X
Who says less is bad? Minimalism at its best is what food enthusiasts nowadays aim for. So NutriChef 7-piece kitchen knife set delivers just that.
My first impression was that of a child who visits a candy store filled with her/his favorites. In fact, it is still on my list to purchase, thanks to the long-lasting sharp edge quality.
The five knives are what the chefs confer as a necessity in the kitchen. Therefore, you can utilize them for multipurpose cutting operations daily. Also, the black non-stick coating on the blade makes it all the more attractive!
You can use these knives repeatedly for making even the complicated dish you had once given up on. Each blade is made from high-quality German stainless steel that ensures sturdiness, better retention, and rust-free precision.
Even the handles have a unique patented feel that conforms to your grip right away.
Now, if you add the acrylic stand and the compact sharpener, there is a set with basic needs for all. Whoever you are, a professional or a newbie cook – I can assure you will not regret investing in this unit.
- Consists of a sharpener and an elegant acrylic stand
- Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife Set with Knife Set Block is resistant to rust and stains
- New precision edge technology improves the sharpness of the cleaver block and keeps the blade sharp for longer
- Anti-slip sanding surface and balanced weight rubber grip
- Excellent craftsmanship
- Highly durable; withstands repeated use
- Offers a versatile cutting choice
- Perfect balance and accuracy
- Some might find them too lightweight
8. KitchenAid KKFSS14BO 14 Piece Classic Forged Series Brushed Stainless Steel Cutlery Set, Bamboo Wood
I have heard of plenty enough good stuff about KitchenAid that it became mandatory to include one. To be honest, it was the bamboo block that caught the initial attention.
It is gorgeous, albeit a standard design. The integrated grit sharpener allows the knives to stay sharp at all times. Now let’s focus on the blades and their edges, which I believe quite alright for a beginner.
Of course, it is entirely different for a professional since the steel material may not be what a chef seeks. However, it works well for all without compromising the edges. You can relax as these will not bend nor break midway.
The various knife pack is a great way to start a journey where you do not have a clue about cooking. Each item comprises a thick bolster that not only protects your fingers but also provides abundant balance.
Such stability during maneuver is pretty significant to achieve precise cuts. Plus, it will prevent sore hands as you spend several hours utilizing the knives.
The handles might seem slippery, but looks can be deceiving. They are brushed stainless steel that feels right when gripped. You will, without a doubt, feel the overall superiority of the KitchenAid KKFSS14BO.
- A set of 14 blades made of German stainless steel.
- Silver Sleek Knife Block with its incorporated sharpener
- Set include Chef, Slicer, Utility, Santoku, and Paring cutlery
- Diamond grit integrated sharpener
- Includes all the necessary pieces
- Beautiful bamboo block
- Reasonably sharp
- Endures repeated use
- Constructed from durable material
- Delivers less retention
9. Wanbasion 16 Pieces Kitchen Knife Set
This is another cool addition to the list that goes perfectly for that modern kitchen look. The Wanbasion is a set of 16-piece, a bunch of awesome knives and tools to complement the overall style.
Sometimes it is okay to judge the book by its cover. You never know what you will be missing out on questioning the plots and themes. The same goes for this unit.
It is just how it appears – beautiful yet extremely sharp. That is why it is worth the shot. You do not just acquire the basics but also have a bunch of steak knives, shears, peelers, sharpeners, etc.
Let us not forget the acrylic block that elegantly stands on the kitchen counter, ever so shining. No matter what size or shape the blade is, the handles will not give out. They are comfortable to hold and work with.
The blades are wonderful in terms of edge retention. As a result, you can use them for many months. Even the peelers and the shears have a similar edge to get the work done effectively.
Do not be afraid of chopping, mincing, slicing the vegetables to perfection anymore. In my opinion, everyone can depend on this kitchen knife set.
- Resistant to scratches and paint drops
- Better flexibility and durability
- Excellent retention of sharp and long edges
- Knife block in stainless steel and modern acrylic
- Multipurpose use
- Sophisticated and well-made
- Reliable balance and weight
- Long-lasting sharp edges
- Titanium coating is scratch-free
- Dishwashing them can oxidize faster
10. Farberware Self-Sharpening 13-Piece Knife Block Set with EdgeKeeper Technology, Black
Let me conclude the reviewing section with another Farberware knife block set. I could not help but notice the semi-matte brushed steel handles. They are a sight to behold.
So are the blades if you examine their stainless steel craft from various angles. I am not saying that it outshines all the rest in quality. However, it is a good set as a starter pack for anyone.
Furthermore, the block offers self-sharpening slots for each knife. This way, you will not have to think about honing them independently before use. The entire is easy to care.
Although the unit is reasonably priced, I believe the value could have gone a little higher in accordance. But it is what you get, and honestly, not the worse way to start the culinary practice.
The greatest enemy of this unit is the rust that forms within months of use. Most users had a similar issue that had no resolving answer. So, if you want a budget knife set to warm up a bit, this can be a good option for trials and errors.
- Integrated knife Ceramic sharpener for automatically sharpening the knives
- Each knife capabilities a high-carbon blade and ultra-sharp aspect
- The handle is designed for a good grip
- 13-Piece Knife Cutlery Set capabilities patent-pending Edge Keeper Technology
- High-carbon stainless steel construction
- Maintains sharpness moderately
- One-piece design for stability
- Versatile use
- Built-in sharpener in block slots
- Not durable for a long time
Top 10 Budget Kitchen Knife Set Comparison Table
Number of Pans
Home Hero Kitchen Knives Set
Farberware Stamped Knife Block Set
Professional High Carbon Chef Knife Set
Triple Rivet High-Carbon Stainless Steel Knife
Ginsu KIS-KB-DS-014-4 Kiso Knife Set
Oster Lindbergh Stainless Steel Cutlery Set
7 Piece Kitchen Knife Set
Stainless Steel Cutlery Set
Professional Chef Kitchen Knife Set
Farberware Self-Sharpening Knife Block Set
Things to Consider Before Buying Affordable Kitchen Knife Set
But first – you have to know what exactly it is you are looking for! Always consider these features before setting out into the world of knives.
If holding a knife makes your wrist hurt, never look at it again. The size and the weight are somewhat linked to achieving the ultimate convenience. Make sure the knife is lightweight but not to an extent that it accidentally lands on the finger.
Are you a rookie at cooking like me? Then you have no idea what a ride you are in for! There are so many types of knives in the market it actually hurt my brain.
Nevertheless, whatever set you choose to make do with it must always contain three essentials. They are the Santoku, Chef’s knife, and a serrated knife. There is also the paring knife that comes in handy a lot more than you think.
Some might even have steak knives — a treat to the food lovers, frankly.
Now a quality material is a motive behind a well-balanced, durable knife. It should be able to sharpen fast, resist rust alongside prevent bents and requires minimum maintaining process.
So go for steel material – it could be German, Japanese, or the most common stainless steel. The point is all about your preference and how you deal with it afterward.
I recommend going for the high-carbon steel material no matter what you pick.
This feature relies on the person’s hand size. Since I have small hands, I cannot use big handles as they are difficult to handle and strains my wrist.
Therefore, whichever handle you choose, be sure it is firm and easy to control. Hold the knives one by one to see how they feel. Consider your hand grip size before buying a knife set.
Of course, the quality of the material applies here as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it worth buying an expensive knife set?
Honestly, it is all about the sharp quality and the honing capability. You should not think cheap or expensive in terms of a good knife set.
If the knives offer sharpness for a longer period, then they are worth the price – high or low.
Is it worth it to sharpen the cheap knives?
Cheap knives, as in the budget knives, can be surprisingly worth keeping often. You should never keep a knife set that is dull despite all the sharpening. And you better replace them as soon as possible before some terrible accident occurs.
What knives usually stay sharp the longest?
Personally, go with stainless steel or carbon steel. The ceramic and the plastic material comes afterward.
However, research has shown high carbon stainless steel knife sets are in great demand now. It has to do with the long-term retention quality. In other words, they stay sharp.
Should you wash a knife after sharpening?
Definitely; as it happens, the process during which you sharpen a knife, gritty substances are surrounding the blade. These are the mixture of stone, water, and the fine metal of the knife.
It is in the form of a paste that you never want to remove, no matter what. That is if you are using a honing stone. However, the blade is a different issue. Using it without sanitizing it correctly will only cause you to taste grits in your food.
Do not forget the metal substances to enter your system. Let’s just not go there!
What knife does Jamie Oliver use?
If you are one of team Jamie Oliver like me, you must have wondered about the knife he uses. Well, that is a great Santoku knife (I began using one followed by his recipes) that originated from Japan.
It is super-efficient, and many chefs utilize it in the kitchen daily. My advice is never to go for a knife set that does not include this particular item.
Does the handle design of the knives affect the cutting performance?
Technically, yes. The material does not matter as much as the grip style does. And the materials could be plastic, wood, or one-piece steel.
What you have to feel for is the comfort level during various forms of cutting ingredients. Does the patented handle eases your wrist from strain or not? Do you think a D-shaped handle works better for you?
Should it be pakka, ebony, or something else entirely that fits your hand perfectly? Ask these questions before confirming on a knife set. Also, be sure it does not slip off; that would be a disaster!
Do not buy the same material/shape that you found uncomfortable previously.
Can I leave the knives in a dishwasher?
If you do not care about them much, then sure, go ahead. Let me tell you, though – they will lose their touch.
Some of the products mentioned above are dishwasher-safe. Does that mean it is okay to leave the knives there? My personal view is never to let these hard-earned knives suffer in the machine.
You will notice the fast dulling effect within a month. What is more, they will rust sooner than you can imagine.
I am so thankful for spending more time to get the best budget kitchen knife set that afternoon. It was a day to remember – lasagna sheets half-boiled, onions strewn all over the cutting board, etc.
Sure I had to order from outside, but it was all worth the time I used to find some quality kitchen knives. Now let’s hope this list helps you too, sincerely.
I understand the frustration one can feel when the price tag tends to be higher everywhere. These affordable products will hopefully make your day as they did mine.
Good luck in advance!